cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Spring "web flow" vs Cocoon Flow/Continuations
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 11:57:46 GMT
thomas wrote:

> --On Freitag, 13. Mai 2005 12:07 Uhr +0200 Sylvain Wallez
> <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> 3 years ago, the cocoon devs were discussing "flow maps", and addition to
>> the sitemap to define page flow using an XML grammar. We always ended up
>> with verbose XML languages having control structures (the infamous "if"),
>> and then some people came with continuations, at first is Scheme (a Lisp
>> dialect - eck!) and then Javascript, and later pure Java.
>>
>> Having a real programming language allow to *very easily* write complex
>> page flows, as you can use all the language's features for control
>> structures, and simply use regular variables to store the interaction
>> state. Amazingly easy and powerful.
>>
>> The main advandage I see to a declarative approach is that it allows to
>> build visual tools (i.e. graphical editors) to design the flow. But the
>> underlying XML files are very likely to be a real mess in realworld
>> complex use cases.
>>
>> Note however that Cocoon's flow engine is pluggable and that we have 3
>> versions of it today:
>> - flowscript, using Javascript to define the flow (business logic should
>> be kept in Java)
>> - javaflow, a pure java implementation
>> - apples, an experimental implementation (used in Daisy IIRC) which may
>> be actually closer to Spring's approach.
>

> as i understood it the results of a flowscript-operation don't generate
> sax-events.

a flowscript (or any other alternative) invokes a pipeline

> so you can use flowscript only at the end of a pipeline.

the sitemap connects a request with a flowscript call. The flowscript invokes a
pipeline that produces SAX events.

is
> that true? and is it equally true for all 3 flow-implementations
> mentioned above?

that what I said is equal for all 3 alterntaives

  in that case i would think that some logic within the
> sitemap (the infamous "if") wouldn't be so bad (for very comlex problems
> one could still decide to leave the sax-stream and use flows).

can't follow you here. what's your usecase?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc