cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Announce] Eclipse Lepido, and opensource IDE for Apache Cocoon
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:53:08 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 19:33 +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>[Announce] Eclipse Lepido
>>

>Hello Sylvain,
>
>nice to hear you are planing this project but did you know that in
>forrest.apache.org we host already a similar tool?
>
>Have a look at
>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/tools/eclipse/
>
>You wrote that your project is starting in the proposal phase, you may
>consider using the forrest/eclipse plugin and helping to enhance it in
>forrest.apache.org. That would allow you a quick start with community
>and code. ;-)

Wow, didn't knew about this Forrest plugin. AFAICS it seems to have some
common roots with Burrokeet (http://www.burrokeet.org/).

>We, speaking for the forrest project, will happily welcome you (and
>everybody else) and help you creating the project here on apache. Maybe
>as subproject of forrest/cocoon. Of course you can go ahead with your
>original plan and use the above mentioned code (it's open source ;-) )
>as starting point if you want.

IMO, Apache is not the right place for an IDE as Apache focuses on
server and infrastructure software. Furthermore, the Lepido's goals go
very far in the IDE features, and therefore require different skills
than those needed to develop the server-side framework. That's what led
us to propose this project to the Eclipse folks.

Sylvain