cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sebastien Arbogast <sebastien.arbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon, Hibernate and HSQL
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 14:42:04 GMT
Actually I was thinking of using your excellent tutorial Johannes but
my problem is rather with the configuration of a HSQLDB database
inside Cocoon to use it for your tutorial with Cocoon connection
pooling. It's the first time I try to use an embedded database. And I
have questions like :
- What is the URL of my HSQLDB database ?
- How can I configure it to tell him for example where to put its files ?
I know I can find information about that in HSQLDB documentation but
here as I'd like my database to be embedded in my web application, I
guess there is somewhere in Cocoon where I have to add code to
initialize it when Cocoon is started...
Any ideas ? Or at least has somebody already successfully used that
configuration ?

Thanks in advance

On Apr 9, 2005 9:31 AM, Johannes Textor <jc.textor@gmx.de> wrote:
> Leszek Gawron schrieb:
>
> > You can put all your database configuration data in hibernate.cfg.xml
> > and it will work just fine. No need to use cocoon connection pools.
>
> Although this is slightly offtopic, I'd like to give my 2c on this
> (since it would mean that my poor tutorial would be useless ;) ):
>
> The Hibernate builtin connection pool is for testing purposes only. It
> might work on some databases, but I definately saw it break on MySQL
> when leaving it running overnight. AFAIK, Hibernate is designed to work
> with an extern implementation of connection pooling, and supplies its
> own pooling just to get people started quicker.
>
> One more reason to use cocoon connection pooling might be that you might
> find it a little nicer to have one central place to put your database
> credentials and have only one pooling implementation running in your
> webapp. The cocoon builtin connection pool was the first thing that came
> into my mind when I implemented this.
>
> As far as I am aware of it, most people prefer using Swing and C3PO
> instead, but few stick around with the Hibernate builtin pool, at least
> not when putting the app into production.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards,
> Johannes

Sebastien ARBOGAST