cocoon-users mailing list archives

From S├ębastien ARBOGAST <sebastien.arbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Starting a project with Cocoon and Maven
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:00:05 GMT
Hi,

Thanks to this excellent article on
wiki<http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/HowToBuildAndDeployCocoonWithMaven>(special
thanks to its authors, Eric and Ralph) I managed to setup a basic
development environment in order to begin a new web app project based on
Cocoon and deployable on Tomcat.
This is what I've done (it can help newbies to complete what's said in the
article and it can clarify my situation as well)
1 - I extracted this
archive<http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-data/attachments/HowToBuildAndDeployCocoonWithMaven/attachments/cocoon-minimal-option2.zip>to
my development folder (let's say "C:\dev") to create
"C:\dev\myproject"
2 - I downloaded Cocoon 2.1.7 sources
<http://cocoon.apache.org/mirror.cgi>and extracted them in "C:\dev"
too
3 - In "C:\dev\Cocoon-2.1.7\" I copied build.properties to
local.build.properties
4 - I edited this new file and uncommented lines for samples, docs and
javadocs of all kinds
5 - I made a "build war" in this directory
6 - I opened "c:\dev\cocoon-2.1.7\build\cocoon-2.1.7\cocoon.war" with Winrar
7 - I extracted all the files inside the archive to
"C:\dev\myproject\src\webapp", keeping the save directory structure
8 - In the war archive I deleted all the files and directories except
"WEB-INF/lib"
9 - In "C:\dev\myproject\src\webapp" I deleted only "WEB-INF\lib" so that
the content of Cocoon war and webapp folder are complementary (since the
main interest of using Maven is to manage jar dependencies)
10 - I copied the modified cocoon.war to my local repository and renamed it
to get "C:\Documents and
Settings\<my_nickname>\.maven\repository\cocoon\wars\cocoon-
2.1.7-minimal.war"
11 - In "C:\dev\myproject\" I updated project.xml and project.properties,
especially to change cocoon dependency version in project.xml and
login/password in project.properties
12 - Finally, knowing that Maven and its tomcat plugin were already
installed on my system, I just add to run "maven tomcat:install" (after
starting tomcat service) in "C:\dev\myproject\" to get a functional webapp
in tomcat.

But now I have the following problem : when I update a file in
"C:\dev\myproject\src\webapp\", let's say I want to change "welcome.xslt" to
reflect my project name, of course the file is not automatically updated in
"C:\dev\myproject\target\myproject" so I have to run "maven war:webapp" to
do this and see the result of my changes in my browser, but then the pregoal
to unwar Cocoon jars is always executed, even if it's not necessery, which
makes my "update/compile/run" development process unnecessary long. Is there
a way (I don't know jelly of configuration directives for maven at all) to
make this pregoal conditional or at least to add parameters to the command
line so that I can deactivate this pregoal if I know it's not necessary ?

Thanks in advance
Regards

Sebastien ARBOGAST