cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: JXTemplate, Xpath and Namespace
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:20:25 GMT

Hi Elad

In XSLT 1.0 you cannot match a namespaced element UNLESS you use a
namespace prefix. If the input document uses a default namespace (i.e.
with no prefix), you can still match it, but your template/@match
expressions MUST use a prefix.

In your XSLT, bind the XHTML namespace to a prefix, and use that prefix
in your match expressions, e.g. "//xhtml:head" instead of "//head". This
will match even if the XHTML namespace in the input document is the
default namespace (i.e. without a prefix).

Hope that helps!

Con

PS this isn't a Cocoon issue as such - you're usually better off to ask
this type of question on the MulberryTech XSL mail-list.

________________________________

	From: Messing, Elad [mailto:elad.messing@eml-d.villa-bosch.de]
	Sent: Tuesday, 12 April 2005 10:37 p.m.
	To: users@cocoon.apache.org
	Subject: JXTemplate, Xpath and Namespace

	Hello all
	        I have a newbie question related to Xpath expression and
Namspaces.
	        Here goes :
	        I have an XHTML page. It looks like this :

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd> ">
xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0">
	        <head>
	                <title>title</title>
content="text/css" />
	.
	.
	.

	        Then I pass it through the JXTemplate generator, which
changes it to the xml that look like this :

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd> ">
xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
	        <head>
	                <title>title</title>
content="text/css"/>
	.
	.
	.

	        As you see, the default namespace
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml>  was added
to the html declaration. Now - when I try to match     a template in
this xml document - I.E. " //head " the Xpath doesn't find the node -
because it is actually connected    to the default namespace, and Xpath
will not return the <head> element. I think that for Xpath there is no
such         thing as default namespace.

	        I know I can use the Xpath expression with *[1] and etc
to reach the desired node- but this is not very elegant.

	        So my question is - What should be done in this case ?
	        Should I have the JXTemplate generator to not add the
defualt namespace ? How ?
	        Or maybe this is not the right direction ?

	        Thanks

	Elad Messing