cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:29:03 GMT
Sandor Spruit wrote:

> Sylvain,
>
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>  Hi folks,
>>
>>  Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in
>>  corporate environments. And more and more people are asking for some
>>  tools. Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon
>>  doesn't have a minimal opensource tooling.
>>
>>  Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
>>  knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>>
>>  That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>>  community:
>
> > - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
> > - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon
>
>>  IDE, would you like to join and invest time and effort?
>

> Hmm. I certainly support the idea, I'd like to join, but it depends on
> time constraints.
> I'm planning on introducing Cocoon, Exist and Eclipse in a
> 'Contentlab' I'm setting
> up for our university curriculum. I would love to have some Cocoon
> plugins, since
> I now have to prepare a workable environment and a Cocoon tutorial
> myself.
>
> Could you use a reasonably skilled group of student users to test
> ideas and provide
> feedback - or do you already have matured ideas on what the tools
> should do? UI?
> (http://www.informationscience.nl, no comments on the quality of its
> layout please).
> Depending on the focus, there are groups ranging from 10
> students/course upto 50.

Well, actually I have more than matured ideas and plan to provide an
initial code base *if* I have the feeling me and my company won't be
alone in this adventure. I'd like Cocoon to have an opensource tooling,
but want it to be community-developed both for social and economical
reasons.

> Some part of the IDE could make a nice student project, but I do not
> think all folks
> would have the required Java development skills to pick it up quickly.
> Maybe our
> computer science students (different programme) could provide these
> skills. Let me
> know what you think, maybe I can work something out here.

Interesting idea, and yes, Java skills seem to me a basic requirement.
Developing new features can certainly be an interesting and motivating
student project. However, even if this brings manpower to the project,
we also need people with more long-term involvment.

Sylvain