cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sandor Spruit <san...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: [poll] Seeking eclipse plugin development skills for an opensource Cocoon IDE
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:15:24 GMT
Sylvain,

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>  Hi folks,
>
>  Cocoon is now a mature framework and is more and more used in
>  corporate environments. And more and more people are asking for some
>  tools. Several people also experienced lost projects because Cocoon
>  doesn't have a minimal opensource tooling.
>
>  Building an opensource IDE for Cocoon not only requires some Cocoon
>  knowledge, but also some Eclipse plugin development skills.
>
>  That's why I'm sending this poll to the whole user and developper
>  community:
 > - do you or your company have Eclipse plugin development skills?
 > - if some opensource project is setup to develop a Cocoon
>  IDE, would you like to join and invest time and effort?

Hmm. I certainly support the idea, I'd like to join, but it depends on
time constraints.
I'm planning on introducing Cocoon, Exist and Eclipse in a 'Contentlab'
I'm setting
up for our university curriculum. I would love to have some Cocoon
plugins, since
I now have to prepare a workable environment and a Cocoon tutorial myself.

Could you use a reasonably skilled group of student users to test ideas
and provide
feedback - or do you already have matured ideas on what the tools should
do? UI?
(http://www.informationscience.nl, no comments on the quality of its
layout please).
Depending on the focus, there are groups ranging from 10 students/course
upto 50.

Some part of the IDE could make a nice student project, but I do not
think all folks
would have the required Java development skills to pick it up quickly.
Maybe our
computer science students (different programme) could provide these
skills. Let me
know what you think, maybe I can work something out here.

Sandor