cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: New user + concepts
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:21:21 GMT

Jon Hill wrote:
> Hi All
>
  > I am in the process of producing data on mobile phone handsets. I am
hoping
> that the information that I will repesent will eventually be good enough to
> be used as a general resource for companies and end users in the mobile phone
> content arena.
Just out of interest: exactly what data will you be aggregating?

> I have got as far as building a relational database and have entered a lot of
> my data. I have now worked a first draft of an XML document that will
> describe the capabailities of a mobile handset.

This is exactly what CC/PP and UAProf deliver, ie a capabilities
document of a device. Have a look at [1] to see what i mean. The Deli
block [2] integrates this technology in Cocoon.
(sorry to go a bit offtopic here, just thought it would be interesting
for someone exploring device capabilities)

> I want the XML to be used for a number of different purposes.
>
> 1. Plain XML, useful for developers who wish to inform their own databases
> 2. XHTML / HTML to display information on handsets, suitable for end-user
> Websites.
> 3. XHTML / HTML for display on a administration Intranet.
> 4. XHTML / WML for WAP browsers.
>
> I guess this is where Cocoon could come in? I have never used any type of
> application server before and could do with some advice to see if what I am
> trying to achieve would benefit from Cocoon.  To begin with, I expect I will
> have data on around 500 handsets. Perhaps Cocoon is overkill for the scale
> that I am working at? I am not entirely sure on what advantages Cocoon can

Cocoon is rarely overkill (or underkill ;) ) for any type of
application. It molds itself very nicely to most types of application in
one way or another.

Looking at your requirements i can't see anything that would be a
stretch for Cocoon. Displaying sets of data in different ways depending
on various factors is exactly what the framework does very well.

HTH
Jorg

[1] http://w3development.de/rdf/uaprof_repository/
[2] http://delicon.sourceforge.net/