cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon + database best practice?
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:59:40 GMT
WHIRLYCOTT wrote:
> My view on this particular matter may go against the grain here, but I
> think that both the modular db actions and the sql transformers should
> not, in general, be used.
>
> Your work with the modular db actions and the sql transformer will not
> be portable since they are tightly coupled to Cocoon.  This is going to
> limit you at some point when you want to write some junit tests or
> command line apps.
>
> Furthermore, I've found that both the sql transformer and the modular db
> actions are fairly buggy and quite incomplete in what they offer.  Try
> doing some complex stuff with multiple queries and transactions to see
> what I mean.
>
> More importantly: Hibernate, OJB, or JDO are much more compelling.
> You'll be several times more productive using one of these than you will
> by hand-coding sql, mapping resultset data back and forth, etc.  These
> ought to be wrapped in a facade and exposed to your application that way
> rather than intersprinkling lots of sql stuff throughout your sitemap.

+1

it is high time, in my opinion, that these are deprecated.

this is one of my pet peeves with cocoon: it's reluctance to deprecate
things.

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/acting/
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/modules/input/
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/

has lots of stuff that should have been killed long ago..

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com