cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Bowe, Bastian" <Bastian.B...@astrium.eads.net>
Subject RE: New user + concepts
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:27:51 GMT
I think cocoon is a good solution for your scenario. Cocoon offers you a
pipeline concept (and optionally flow as a control layer, CForms...) You can
use cocoon to extract the data from the database build "Plain XML" (in a
pipeline). You can then create another pipeline to use the "Plain XML"
pipeline as an input for another pipeline which generates XHTML/HTML and for
another one which generates WML. The conversion from XML to (X)HTML or WML
has to be done in the pipeline with cocoon xsl transformer using XSL
Stylesheets.

Hope that gives you some idea how cocoon can help you. I don't think cocoon
is overkill because you don't have to use every aspect of cocoon. You just
have to understand XML/XSL and cocoons pipeline/sitemap concept.

The advantage over PHP/JSP or most other technologies is that you can easyly
add other output formats. Cocoon is very modular and you can modify most
aspects. It is even quiet simple to build a customized cocoon that just
includes the parts (blocks) of cocoon you need (in your case the pipeline
concept) and exclude most of the others.

Regards
Bastian