cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: separation of roles
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:24:09 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Pardon me for being a little bit flip, but if your requirement is that
> designers can use only the technologies they already know then guess
> what?  The answer to your question is that there is no advantage to any
> technology that requires them to learn something new.

There's nothing stopping you designing your own attribute language in
XML for your designers, have them write in that, and then use an XSLT to
convert that template into another XSLT stylesheet that you use for real.

For development purposes, you can use the cocoon: protocol to generate
the stylesheet, so that everything happens instantly. Upon deployment it
is probably better to generate the XSLT stylesheet from the template
offline.

With this approach, you've got all of the power of Cocoon with the
simplicity of a templating language. Also, you get to define for
yourself the templating language as best meets your needs.

I've used this technique, and it is pretty easy once you've got your
head around it, and very powerful.

Regards, Upayavira