cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Linden H van der (MI)" <H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl>
Subject RE: jx variable to nodeset
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:57:18 GMT
> Will return:
> <zip:entry name="userdata.html" src="../content/users/1736/kk.xml"/>

Hmm. Glad this works out, but I'm entirely sure why...

> BUT as soon as I change the user var to
> <jx:set var="user"><session:getxml context="authentication"
> path="/authentication/data/User/VfNumber"/></jx:set>

this is failing.

The only thing I know is this:
- <session:getxml> returns a node, rather than a string
- if you enter the value of the variable in <jx:set> as you do above,
you get a node, rather than a string

> IMO the behaviour of jx is not really intuitiv, I ended up doing an
> extensive trail 'n error session to get it working. :(

They're working on it. ;-)

> The different usage of #{var}, #{$var} and ${var} do not make life
> easier either. I really do not know when to use which type.

That's because they represent two ways of getting to the same point:

#{xxx} represents JXPath, i.e. an Xpath representation of your variable.
${xxx} respresents JeXL, a more Java/Javascript oriented representation
of your variable. If your variable is e.g. a Java object holding an
address:

myAddress.getHomeAddress().getStreet().getHouseNumber()

This would be in JeXL: ${myAddress.homeAddress.street.houseNumber}
and in JXPath: #{myAddress/homeAddress/street/houseNumber}

Hmm. If I look at your variable (user) you might try this: #{user/.}
since "user" is a node and you want the content of the node (i.e. the
text), rather than the node itself.

HTH.

Bye, Helma