cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jon Hill <...@foneport.com>
Subject New user + concepts
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:18:15 GMT
Hi All

First off all, apologies for this email being a little long; thanks to anyone
who has the time to read it.

I am in the process of producing data on mobile phone handsets. I am hoping
that the information that I will repesent will eventually be good enough to
be used as a general resource for companies and end users in the mobile phone
content arena.

I have got as far as building a relational database and have entered a lot of
my data. I have now worked a first draft of an XML document that will
describe the capabailities of a mobile handset.

I want the XML to be used for a number of different purposes.

1. Plain XML, useful for developers who wish to inform their own databases
2. XHTML / HTML to display information on handsets, suitable for end-user
Websites.
3. XHTML / HTML for display on a administration Intranet.
4. XHTML / WML for WAP browsers.

I guess this is where Cocoon could come in? I have never used any type of
application server before and could do with some advice to see if what I am
trying to achieve would benefit from Cocoon.  To begin with, I expect I will
have data on around 500 handsets. Perhaps Cocoon is overkill for the scale
that I am working at? I am not entirely sure on what advantages Cocoon can
bring me over using PHP / Perl / JSP to output database queries into a
variety of formats.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom to help in my decision making?

regards

Jon