cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Using Cocoon without XSPs
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:46:48 GMT
Oleg Konovalov wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am Cocoon newbie, trying to reverse-engineer
>several Cocoon [2.0.4] apps written in 2002-2003
>(original developers long gone, nobody around ever
>worked with Cocoon). Deployed on JBoss 3.0.7.
>
>Learning from "Cocoon Developer's Handbook" by Mocsar/Aston,
>it looks like all Cocoon apps have to use XSP logicsheets.
>However, there is absolutely no XSPs in these apps,
>only Project.xmap, XSL, Java, XML, HTML, some SQL files.
>
>Was XSP introduced in Cocoon 2?
>How do you develop with Cocoon without XSPs ?
>
>Judging by Java packages, it had Acting, Generation, Selection,
>Tasks, Transformation, Data and Util.
>And most SQL things are done in XSL/XML files.
>There are tons on XSLs (under XSLT).
> Is that what was used before/instead of XSPs ?
>
>Are there any resources describing Cocoon development
>without XSPs ?
>

>Thank you in advance,
>Oleg.

The Cocoon developer's handbook is a good book but very out of date.
XSP's are similar to JSPs and have many of the same problems.  The use
of XSPs is not recommended in version 2.1 as their are better ways of
getting work done.  The recommended approach is to use business objects
in conjunction with flowscript of javaflow.  There is actually quite a
bit of information on this at the Cocoon web site, on the wiki and even
in a few published articles.

Having said all that, if you have an app developed in 2.0.4 it should be
converted to 2.1 fairly easily. The biggest change is that classes that
implement Composable must be converted to implement Serviceable instead.

HTH
Ralph