cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Justin Fagnani <just...@fagnani.com>
Subject Using Cocoon's build system for my webapp
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:33:11 GMT
Hello Cocoon'ers,

It's been a long while since I've done any Cocoon work. I've been playing with
the new (to me) build system and so far I like it. I've been able to easily
pair down the build with the local blocks and build properties.

Now I want to start setting up the sitemap and writing some custom components.
I'd like to use the current build system but I'm getting some errors. Maybe
it's not the right way to do it, but so far I haven't seen any documentation
on what the suggested build setup is.

First I figured I'd edit the sitemap in src/webapp. I removed some unneeded
matchers and quickly got errors with confpatch, specifically mount-table. I
added back the api section to the sitemap just to get going, but I wonder
what the correct solution is.

Should I create my own target xml file? Should I remove mount-table.xmap from
src/confpatch ?

My second issue has to do with components. I want to wrap an object as an
Avalon component and have it instantiated when Cocoon is launched. Before I
did this with a user.roles file and editing cocoon.xconf. I went to the
documentation to make sure I remembered how to do it, but I couldn't find
much, just one reference to creating a my.roles file. To use the build system
would I just put my.roles in the src/webapp/WEB-INF directory?

My big concern is that it'll be difficult to upgrade when a new version of
Cocoon comes out. On the other hand I've created a nice minimal Cocoon setup,
but I might need more blocks later. I like the idea of being able to edit
local.blocks.properties and get the blocks I need, and then rebuild my whole
webapp.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Justin