cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Torsten Schlabach" <TSchlab...@gmx.net>
Subject Fwd: RE: Still challenged with building Cocoon in Eclipse
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:24:56 GMT
Hi all,

I have updated the corresponding Wiki page. Please have a look at

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/LoadInEclipse

and comment and / or edit as necessary!

This page still leaves a number of questions open. If anyone has answers
please fill them in and let the list know.

Kind regards,
Torsten

--- Weitergeleitete Nachricht / Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:05:49 +0100 (MET)
From: "Torsten Schlabach" <TSchlabach@gmx.net>
To: H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl
Subject: RE: Still challenged with building Cocoon in Eclipse

Hi!

>> Just wondering, did you manage to get it to work?

Thanks for asking ...

The answer is: "yes and no"! But I think I finally sorted this out, I am
just not yet too sure about it.

To make a long story short:

I finally managed to build Cocoon using the "external" Ant supplied by the
Cocoon tarball. The misunderstanding here obviously was that you told me to
use the "External Tools" choice on the build.xml context menu. But in the
dialoge that comes up when choosing this option, you are given all the
"internal Ant" options that you created before as well. So I thought I ought
to use one of them, but I must not.

I had to really say "new external tool", pointed it to build.bat / build.sh
and it worked so far ... Maybe I find time to update the Wiki page to make
at least this very very clear. (I costed me days and I think others have had
and will have this problem as well.)

The reason why my answer still is a bit "no": I still don't like the
"external Ant" approach, because I am still suspicious about the integration
of the "external Ant" with Eclipse.

As long as you just unpack the tarball, build the whole thing and use it I
guess you won't run into trouble. But if I want that I can do that on the
command line as well and I do not need Eclipse for that. I want to be sure
that I can develop inside the Cocoon code in Eclipse without running into
any issues. And I want to be able to pick targets from the build.xml outline
and run an Ant build on them for example. Using that "External Tools"
configuration is not any different than triggering the build from the
command line outside Eclipse, is it?

Also I think I found out why the "internal" Ant has problems building Cocoon
in Eclipse. Having digged a bit through the build.bat and ant.bat scripts in
the Cocoon directory as well as through the build.xml and its inluded files,
two issues come up:

1. External tasks. The Cocoon build process starts with building some Ant
tasks (one of them being XPatch) that get used immediately during the very
same run of Ant. I actually wonder why that is and why those tasks are not
readily compiled to .class files inside the tools branch of the Cocoon
tarball. (@all: if this is by design: let me know. If this is by chance it
might be worth debating.)

Regarding the external tasks, I tried to build them manually and add them to
the internal Ant runtime configuration. That took me straigt into the next
problem which was that ExceptionInInitializer think. I guess this is due to

2. Endorsed libs. And this is where the story ends: The build.bat / ant.bat
scripts set the libs/endorsed tree inside the Cocoon tarball as
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=lib\endorsed. I have not yet found a way of doing that
in the Eclipse internal Ant. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a VM
option, not an Ant property, is it? So can I change the VM settings for the
VM that is used to run the internal Ant in Eclipse?

That's it so far ...

Regards,
Torsten