cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: adding personal blocks to Cocoon build
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:33:57 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 08.12.2004 23:01, Greg Newton wrote:
>
>> I want to incorporate the eXist xml database (http://exist-db.org/)
>> into my builds of Cocoon and I'd like to do it as a block (unless
>> there are compelling reasons to do it another way).
>>
>> Are there good (read no assumptions made about my competence level)
>> online instructions for doing this, or is this something that really
>> requires alot of experience to do?
>>
>> There is a fellow that does this very thing (eXist as block) but I'd
>> like to learn *how* to do it rather than relying on others to do it
>> for me.
>

> There is not much meaning about a Cocoon *block* at the moment as it
> is more or less only a directory structure. Having the dirs and files
> at the correct place lets them get incorporated into a Cocoon build.
>
> If you need some additional configuration in Cocoon files like
> cocoon.xconf you have to write some xpatch files which get merged with
> the main cocoon.xconf (and maybe others).
>
> A third issue is the gump descriptor. I think you need an entry there
> to get your block added to the list of to-be-build blocks, but I do
> not really know.
>
> I would really wonder if there are any online instructions about doing
> this. So learning by doing/copying & pasting from the existent blocks
> will be the way to go. The most important parts I hopefully mentioned
> above.

 From tools/targets/compile-build.xml:

  <!-- prepares the blocks build -->
  <target name="prepare-blocks" depends="prepare">
    <mkdir dir="${build.blocks}"/>

    <xslt in="${gump.descriptor}"
          out="${build.temp}/blocks-build.xml"
          style="${tools.src}/blocks-build.xsl"/>
  </target>

So, it seems that the blocks to be built come from the gump.xml file.
Also, looking at tools/src/blocks-build.xsl, it seems that only blocks
who's names begin with 'cocoon-block-' are included in the blocks build.

It probably wouldn't be hard to add a build process to include some
external blocks, by transforming a local.gump.xml, or similar.

Regards, Upayavira