cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: XMLSerializer replaces whitespaces with &#9;
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:53:16 GMT
Stefan Pietschmann wrote:
> Instead of the correct indentation of my xml files it inserts &#9; for each
> whitespace (after linebreaks I think).

&#9; denotes a TAB character.

> The source of an xHTML-file which is returned now looks like this:
> &#9;&#9;<table>
> Of course this messes up everything (apart from the fact that the browser
> don't interpret those xhtml files right anymore).

The browser should interpret &#9; as TAB and handle it accordingly
(ignore it in the context given), just like a for real TAB character.
I'm not aware of any reasonably recent browser getting this wrong.

> I've neither had this behaviour with JDK 1.4.2 and Cocoon 2.1.5 or JDK 1.5
> and Cocoon 2.1.6, so it must be the combination of Java 5 and Cocoon 2.1.6.

Actually, Cocoon uses the resident XSLT processor for serialization.
Check the classpath for intruders.

> (I already tried with yes and no for the indent parameter)

If the indent setting doesn't make a difference, I doubt it's
a problem with the serializer. I rather suspect you got a case
of double escaping. Check the output carefully whether it
actually contains &amp;#9;

J.Pietschmann