cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Nicolson <p...@star.le.ac.uk>
Subject Re: URL re-writing max length
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:57:21 GMT
Thanks,

solved it straight away (little embarrassed to not have spotted it
myself, but the system had been working as was for months!)

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 15:59, Upayavira wrote:
> Phillip Nicolson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am presently using cocoon with tomcat 5.0.19, and am occassionally
> >seeing the following problem:
> >
> >I create a form, based upon various astronomical tools. Depending on the
> >chosen tool the form will have a number of parameter fields, which may
> >contain extremely long input values (references to locations of files on
> >a grid system for example). Once submitted the values are used in a
> >cocoon action.
> >I am starting to see a problem for a particular tool which has >20 input
> >parameters, each of which may be dozens of characters long. When this
> >occurs pressing the submit button has no effect as the form is never
> >submitted.
> >Before I go mad investigating this can anyone tell me if there is an
> >issue with URL lengths?
> >

> You should use POST to submit a form, not GET. GET tacks the parameters
> onto the URL, whereas POST includes the details within the body of the
> request. With POST, you can send as much info as you like.
>
> Your resulting HTML should say something like <form method="post"
> action="yourpage">
>
> Regards, Upayavira

Phillip Nicolson
Department of Physics & Astronomy		Phone:	(0)116 2523581
University of Leicester				Email:	pjn3@star.le.ac.uk
Leicester        LE1 7RH			Web:	http://www.astrogrid.org