cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Manipulating the DOM in flowscript
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:18:22 GMT
Brent

Thanks for the clarification on the syntax; as I did point
out in the post where I stated the problem - that was
just an *example* of something I had tried; not all the
other attempts were in that format or with that specific
DOM call or syntax....  but nothing I tried would work -
hence I  assumed the problem might be with the way that
the DOM calls (in general) work inside flow or with how
I was  attempting to tackle manipulation of forms data
(and I don't think that was an unreasonable assumption;
yes, I did read some guidelines on working with DOM in
Javascript - obviously I botched the specifics in the case
that was posted).  I have already posted elsewhere that
while this may have turned out not to be a *pure* Cocoon
problem, at the time I encountered it, I think it did classify
as such because I was uncertain as to what the cause was
(for example, we also often answer simple XSLT questions).
YMMV.

My 0.5c
Derek

>>> bljohnson@gmail.com 2004/11/29 08:36:17 PM >>>
> I think what is fundamentally wrong is your comprehansion of DOM.
What
> you're trying to do:
>
>  >      document.insertBefore(keyNode,keyNode);
>
> makes absolutely no sense to me, and probably to DOM. What does it
mean
> "to insert a node before itself"???

Yes - you'd never use the same node as arguments to insertBefore.  If
I understand the API you would use insertBefore like this:

<person>
<name>Brent Johnson</name>
<occupation>Web Developer</occupation>
</person>

if "newChild" is a reference to a node with child nodes like
call to:

document.insertBefore(newChild, refChild);

Would have a result of something like:

<person>
<id>4</id>
<name>Brent Johnson</name>
<occupation>Web Developer</occupation>
</person>

I've never used it.. but that seems to be what the DOM API says.  Per
the API:
"Inserts the node newChild before the existing child node refChild. If
refChild is null, insert newChild at the end of the list of children.
"

Hope that helps... and I agree that this isnt a Cocoon problem and you
should probably read the DOM Java API a little closer before posting a
Java Exception to this mailing list.  Just my 2 cents.

- Brent

believed to be clean.