cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: [OT] User Preferences and Webapp Configs
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:21:04 GMT
Julian

Sounds like you are stuck at an awkard place; perhaps
best to use what you know already (JSP) to do the
user-specific configuration stuff, and let Cocoon handle
the presentation.  As you say, CForms could then be
used in a future application that has no legacy issues.
I would consider CForms "stable" - I am not sure what
you mean by 'not yet released as part of a Cocoon
Milestone' - it has been in both versions 2.1.5 and 2.1.6
and these are probably equivalent to X.x releases of other
projects (consider that 1.8 came out 5 years ago!) -
and, AFAICS, is relatively stable (albeit subject to adding
new features).  The risk of it being 'proprietary' is no more
or less than using many other aspects/features built-in to
Cocoon... and the less of those you use, the less sense it
makes to use Cocoon in the first place --- my take is that
more code you write yourself (JSP, Java et al) the more
proprietary *your* application becomes.

YMMV
Derek

>>> cerebro70@yahoo.com 2004/11/22 05:43:49 PM >>>
Derek,

My issue is a mix of conceptual and technical.
Technically, I already have a legacy JSP/Servlet
application, and porting would be costly at this time.
 To a lesser extent, CForms is a proprietary solution
and not yet released as part of a Cocoon Milestone.
Conceptually...for future projects, it may be possible
to use CForms.  I would look forward to broad industry
acceptance, but in the mean time I am stuck.

HTH,
Julian

--- Derek Hohls <DHohls@csir.co.za> wrote:

> [...]
> > in my Java domain model (aka have to parse the XML
> > into POJOs/XMLBeans) so users and the system can
> > update the info?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Julian
> >
> > --- Derek Hohls <DHohls@csir.co.za> wrote:
> >
> > > Julian
> > >
> > > You could use a combination of CForms and XML...
> > > you do not need to even have a database with
> this
> > > type
> > > of setup.  Each user could have his/her own
> config
> > > file or you could just keep it all in one file,
> > > depending
> > > on number of user and number of config options.
> > >
> > > Derek

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone could point me to some
> > > resources or offer some suggestions for building
> > > user preferences and webapp configuration
> system.
> > > would like users to be able to update their
> > > preferences and the webapps config.  The user's
> > > would
> > > be able to inherit preferences based on which
> > roles
> > > they have.  The configs consist of available
> > > functionality for the web application (e.g.
> > > available
> > > modules, thrid party integration options).  On
> the
> > > other side, the preferences would include skins,
> > > pop-up preferences, form auto-fill data (i.e.
> > > favorite
> > > reponses to frequently filled out forms), etc.
> > > currently use Java 1.4, Cocoon 1.2.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Julian

> > > The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
> > > http://my.yahoo.com

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > users-help@cocoon.apache.org
> > >

> > > --
> > > This message has been scanned for viruses and
> > > dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> > > believed to be clean.
> > > MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their
> > > support.

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > users-help@cocoon.apache.org
> > >

> > =====
> > Live simply so others may simply live.
> >
> > -Ghandi
> >
> > Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
> > "Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"
> >
> > -William of Occam

> > protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > users-help@cocoon.apache.org
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.
> > MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their
> > support.

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > users-help@cocoon.apache.org
> >

> =====
> Live simply so others may simply live.
>
> -Ghandi
>
> Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
> "Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"

=== message truncated ===

=====