cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: [OT] User Preferences and Webapp Configs
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 06:44:03 GMT
Julian

I was assuming your users *were* likely to be
making changes at runtime.  Or do you see this
as a once-off process, completed before the app
is even launched?  AFAICS, Cocoon in general seems
pretty scalable - see previous threads for more
details - my experience is that the limiting factor is
usually memorry (Java being v. memory hungry).
CForms are useful for extracting data from both XML
and Java Beans... not sure about both at the same
time, though - perhaps post separately on this topic
and see if anyone else has tackled this use case.

Derek

>>> cerebro70@yahoo.com 2004/11/19 04:21:56 PM >>>
Derek,

Thanks for the reply and tips.  Is it necessary to use
CForms?  How scalable is a solution based on parsing
XML at runtime, especially if I need to access the XML
in my Java domain model (aka have to parse the XML
into POJOs/XMLBeans) so users and the system can
update the info?

Thanks again,
Julian

--- Derek Hohls <DHohls@csir.co.za> wrote:

> Julian
>
> You could use a combination of CForms and XML...
> you do not need to even have a database with this
> type
> of setup.  Each user could have his/her own config
> file or you could just keep it all in one file,
> depending
> on number of user and number of config options.
>
> Derek

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could point me to some
> resources or offer some suggestions for building a
> user preferences and webapp configuration system.  I
> would like users to be able to update their
> preferences and the webapps config.  The user's
> would
> be able to inherit preferences based on which roles
> they have.  The configs consist of available
> functionality for the web application (e.g.
> available
> modules, thrid party integration options).  On the
> other side, the preferences would include skins,
> pop-up preferences, form auto-fill data (i.e.
> favorite
> reponses to frequently filled out forms), etc.  I
> currently use Java 1.4, Cocoon 1.2.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Julian

> http://my.yahoo.com

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@cocoon.apache.org
>

> --
> believed to be clean.
> MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their
> support.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@cocoon.apache.org

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.

-Ghandi

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"

-William of Occam

believed to be clean.