cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Large XML transformations in Cocoon.
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:39:41 GMT
OK, I'll bite here, as my curiosity is aroused (and, lets face it,
as XML gets wider use, its likely that file sizes will get larger)

You say "XSLT isn't that appropriate for that sort of thing";
I thought XSLT was *the* preferred way for processing XML?!

Second; what are the advantages/disadvantagesof STX  icw XSLT?

Thanks
Derek

>>> uv@upaya.co.uk 2004/11/19 09:09:18 AM >>>
Tom Bloomfield wrote:

> I'm planning to do xml -> text transformations (for tab-delimited
> output) and xml -> FOP on large XML datasets.  The XML I will  be
> processing will be 10-12 MB in size, and will grow from there. Based

> on planning, the XSL will contain around 50 node traversals and will

> iterate over my XML dataset around 46,000 times.  Previous to this,
my
> Cocoon transformations haven't been nearly this big.
>
> The amount of JVM memory I have to deal with is limited (<256M).
This
> transformation will need to run in real-time.
> Does anyone have experience dealing with large datasets like this?

That sounds like quite a challenge. XSLT isn't that appropriate for
that
sort of thing. Firstly, in XSLT, avoid arbitrary wanders around your
XML
tree - stay as close to the context node as you can.

Alternatively, look at STX (there is an STX block). See if you can
manage your transformations with that. This is "streaming"
transformations for XML, i.e. it is designed for streaming, and thus
should be able to handle large datasets.

Regards, Upayavira

believed to be clean.