cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: [OT] This is quite disappointing...
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:36:12 GMT
David

Up to a point... but committees do NOT write good, clean
and consistent documents (in my experience anyway). The
central author needs to be someone with the most overall
knowledge, ably assisted by a good editor, who pulls everything
together.  I expect that experts would be drawn in as needed... and
then you have a whole community to proof-read, cross-check etc.
etc.  I would argue that *this* is the "new-fashioned" approach.

Derek

PS Remember we are not starting from scratch here.  There is
much that is excellent, some that is very good, and so on.  But
it does all need sorting out in a non ad-hoc way.

>>> crossley@apache.org 2004/11/10 11:33:53 AM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> Ralph
>
> Yup.  I am not envious of any other open source package
> ito community support and the intrinsic capability of the system
> but I if had the odd, spare $10k or even $100k lying around
> the first thing I would do is offer to hire some people (tech expert
> + writer/editor) to redo all the documents; including the main
> website and wiki.  Plus produce a high quality "getting going" guide

> (such as the one that projects like Hibernate has.)
>
> I can dream, right?
>
> Derek
>
> PS Yes, in theory, the above could be done by the community,
> but in practice some old-fashioned, top-down, focussed effort is
> actually what it takes to get something like this together.

Or some new-fashioned concept, like Bertrand just suggested.

It must be a community effort. It would be almost
impossible for a small group of "experts" to
document Cocoon. I doubt that anyone could say that
they knew every aspect in detail. So we need to mobilise
our current community.

--
David Crossley

believed to be clean.