cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: [OT] This is quite disappointing...
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:45:16 GMT
Ralph

Yup.  I am not envious of any other open source package
ito community support and the intrinsic capability of the system
but I if had the odd, spare $10k or even $100k lying around
the first thing I would do is offer to hire some people (tech expert
+ writer/editor) to redo all the documents; including the main
website and wiki.  Plus produce a high quality "getting going" guide
(such as the one that projects like Hibernate has.)

I can dream, right?

Derek

PS Yes, in theory, the above could be done by the community,
but in practice some old-fashioned, top-down, focussed effort is
actually what it takes to get something like this together.

>>> Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com 2004/11/10 08:54:17 AM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:

>I guess my 2c is that I do think Cocoon remains obscure.  There
>seem to be lots of people doing lots of good things with it, but
>its never promoted [read - not discussed, written about, in forums
>outside of Cocoon groups, where others could sit up and take
>notice].  It is a chicken-and-egg situation... but these things can
>be changed.

My $.02.

My experience with everyone who is now using Cocoon in our organization

has gone something like this:

1. I already know Struts (and JSPs)...
2. It's too complicated.
3. The documentation is bad. The published books are old and don't
cover
the current release.
4. Wow. It does that?!
5. This is really ccol!

Obviously, getting past 1, 2 and 3 are the hard part, with 1 and 2
being
the worst. The irony is that the solution, IMO, is number 3.  Cocoon
needs better documentation, more published articles, and better
documentation.

Ralph

believed to be clean.