cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Finally figured out the memory settings for Windows server
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:20:38 GMT
Robin

OK, the "hidden agenda" here is that I actually need to
increase the memory for the JVM for non-Tomcat related
apps as well (e.g. XReporter, which runs under Phoenix).

Does JAVA_OPTS affect that as well?

Thanks
Derek

>>> rob@robinwyles.com 2004/11/02 10:17:45 AM >>>
Derek,

On 2 Nov 2004, at 07:42, Derek Hohls wrote:

> Being the eternal optimist, I would like to ask if
> anyone know how to do this for Tomcat 4.x.... there
> is no "Configure Tomcat" on the Windows menu?

It's a while since I ran Tomcat under Windows, but I believe you can
set the JAVA_OPTS environment variable by editing the
tomcat_home/bin/catalina.bat e.g:

set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms128m -Xmx512m

Robin

> Thanks to all who provided assistance.
>
> I figured it out for Windows server. Go to Start->Programs->Apache
> Tomcat
> 5.0->Configure Tomcat. This will open up a dialog box to change
> settings.
> Click the middle tab, Java VM. There is a text area to add Java
> Options.
> After the last entry, -Xrs, add -Xms<value> -Xmx<value>, where these
> are the
> minimum size and maximum size of memory usage for the Java virtual
> machine
> (JVM). Click Apply or OK, and restart the Tomcat service.
>
> One of the reasons I didn't think of this originally is that Apache
> Tomcat
> 5.0 was missing from Start-Programs on my development server. I like
> test
> in development before testing in production. Once I figured this out
> reinstalled Tomcat on my development server, which placed Apache
Tomcat
> 5.0
> in Start->Programs. From there I was able to set and test the memory
> settings for the JVM in development, and eventually place these into
> production. The XSP that hits the Oracle database now flies. I can
> gather a
> 10947 record, 9.5 megabyte data stream quickly. It's an entirely new
> web
> site. It really performs well. I can't believe the improvement in
> performance I received with the new memory settings.
>
> The increased performance isn't only with Cocoon. Performance of our
> ArcIMS
> applications has increased considerably.
>
> Once again, thanks to all who provided assistance.
>
> Gary T. Schultz
> Web Technical Administrator / GIS Coordinator
> Wisconsin Department of Commerce
> 6th Floor
> P.O. Box 7970
> Madison, WI
> 1-608-266-1283

Cocoon
> and
> will turn to another solution. This will be a major set back for
> greater use
> of Cocoon in our agency. I'm also trying to sell other agencies in
> Wisconsin
> on the benefits of Cocoon, but this recent set back will only make
my
> efforts more difficult.
>
> Any assistance I can get is greatly appreciated. I would like to see
> Cocoon
> used for tasks other than a simple web publishing system. But the
way
> it
> looks right now, that will be a hard sell in my agency and to other
> State of
> Wisconsin government agencies.
>
> Gary T. Schultz
> Web Technical Administrator / GIS Coordinator
> Wisconsin Department of Commerce
> 6th Floor
> P.O. Box 7970
> Madison, WI