cocoon-users mailing list archives

From BURGHARD √Čric <eric.burgh...@systheo.com>
Subject Re: XMLCSS
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:28:47 GMT
Gunter D'Hondt wrote:

> in my opinion "css in xml-format" harms the SoC coz it's the webdesigner
> that builds the css and they are so used of working with visual tools like
> TopStyle to easily edit the stylesheet; there you can select the "IE &
> Netscape compliant" css properties

A webdesigner in a real world had to know xhtml and css syntaxes. If you
look at dreamweaver generated code, you will certainly notice that besides
the fact that it's a graphical tool, it's doesn't apply SoC in the sens
that the generated xhtml is tied to specific classes (style1, style2,
style3, ...).

xmlcss is not a graphical tool but just a tool that help a skilled
webdesigner to style an xhtml in a zengarden way
(http://www.csszengarden.com/) by reusing set of rules through macros.

> and as far as I know the next spec for css would include inheritance which
> will be a really great advantage; but how will you do that in xml; by
> adding an attribute "extends"?
> Gunter

ok but can we do in the present ?  We just didn't use all CSS2 in our
project for standard acceptance reasons. Do i have to wait 3 years for
CSS4 ?

inheritance is already here in xmlcss with the apply attribute. Once
inheritance will be in css, the stylesheet would generate optimised css for
all the browser that claims to support it (using css syntax). And what
about variables and macros ?

By using macros we could help a webdesigner to setup menus for example
without boring him with model boxes differences or css tricks. He just had
to concentrate on color and padding and placement.

When i heard that xmlcss is not as readable that css, i'm not agree. And it
will be easy to convince you. if prefer reading

<menu div=".menu" orient="horizontal" anchor="left"/>

instead of

.menu {
  font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size: 8pt;
  float: left;
  width: 100%;
}

.menu ul {
  list-style-type: none;
  float: left;
}

.menu li {
  width: auto;
  white-space: nowrap;
  float: left;
}

.menu a {
  padding-bottom: 1pt;
  padding-top: 1pt;
  padding-right: 5pt;
  padding-left: 5pt;
  text-align: center;
  text-decoration: none;
  white-space: nowrap;
  display: block;
}

for which i need to be overskilled to know that they represent a left
anchored horizontal menu.