cocoon-users mailing list archives

From BURGHARD Éric <eric.burgh...@systheo.com>
Subject Re: XMLCSS
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:57:26 GMT
Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 24 nov. 04, à 15:46, BURGHARD Éric a écrit :
>>
>> > ...an xmlcss file is writen like that:
>> > <css>
>> >  <rule select=".myclass">
>> >    <padding value="0"/>
>> >    <margin top="10px/>
>> >  </rule>n t
>> > </css>....
>>
>> The problem might be getting people to write CSS in XML. The
>> native CSS syntax is so much more comfortable to write.

yes true. but the conversion is really straight forward. I wrote for example
a simple sed script which convert existing css into xmlcss. With a good xml
editor you've got completion, syntax checking, ...

> Cross browser support for CSS is such that hacks are almost always
> required for non-trivial use of CSS.  Probably the simplest example
> is the use of non-standard box model that IE 5.5 and below use.
> These hacks generally use known CSS parser errors in the various
> browsers involving among other things white space and comments.
>
> I don't quite see how these hacks could be implemented in your
> proposal.

You don't need theses hacks. You had the agent attribute. just write

<width value="100%"/>
<width value="98%" agent="ie"/>

or

<width value="100%" agent="! ie"/>