cocoon-users mailing list archives

From H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl
Subject Slightly OT: accessing serial port using Java
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:42:01 GMT
Guys,

This is slightly off-topic, but since there are so many Java experts around
here, I hope someone will react and help me off-list.

For a private pet project I need to connect to a microcontroller using the
serial port. I currently have this running as a Delphi program on a Windows
95 machine, but I want to replace it with an improved version in Java/Cocoon
on a Linux machine.
To keep things simple I want to write a simple program that can read the
serial port and put the info in a text file in a directory and read a text
file from a (other) directory and put it on the serial port.

A Cocoon-based webapp will read the resulting files and generate graphs (in
SVG e.g.) and ask for user input which is written to other files.

The problem is: how do I write the part that can communicate with the serial
port? I don't know if I can do this in Java and I have never written
software specifically for the Linux platform.

Thanks.

Bye, Helma