cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Hance, Greg (ELS)" <G.Ha...@Elsevier.com>
Subject RE: Passing a parameter from custome generator to transformer
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:06:04 GMT

Hi Bent -

One word of caution on the approach you are taking if you plan to turn
caching on at some point. If you pass info. in the request from the
Generator to the Transformer, if the Generator output is cached (in which
case generate() doesn't get invoked) then your request attribute won't get
set and you'll end up w/ a NullPointerException in your transformer.

I tried to do something similiar once and this bug bit me once I deployed w/
caching turned on.

An alternative is to somehow inject the ID needed by the transformer stage
into the XML, maybe create a new top-level container element and pass along
the ID through the XML.

Cheers, Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Bent André Solheim [mailto:bent.andre@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:41 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Passing a parameter from custome generator to transformer

First of all, thank you for your answer Jorg!

I'm having a bit trouble with your suggestion. It appears the
transformer is configured after MyGenerator.compose(ComponentManager),
but before MyGenerator.generate(). It is in generate() I look up the
transformation id and put it in the Request, so when the transformer
is being configured, the parameter is not set, and I get a
FileNotFoundException (Unable to get transformer handler for file...).

I cannot do the lookup in compose, because this is only called on
generator creation. Have I misunderstood something here?

Best regards,
Bent.