cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Merico Raffaele <raffaele.mer...@less.ch>
Subject AW: JXTemplate Transformer
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:18:37 GMT
Dear Bart

> > Many thx for the confermation of my misgivings. What a shame! If the
> > XML-SAXs could be referenced by a JXTemplate-Transformer-Script
> invoked by
> > <map:transform type="jx" src="myJXTemplate.xml"/> it would
> be possilbe
> > elimnate one XSLT transformation (a Style-free XSL Transformation)
> step.
> >

> I would see JXT and XSL as two different things. JXT for putting data
> into XML and XSLT to transform the XML generated by JXT (e.g. adding
> style for HTML output, or making XSL:FO, or ...) I don't know your
> use-case, but why do you want to eliminate the XSLT
> transformation step
> (just curious)?

What I have done can be seen as SoC at rendering level. Because I think,
that XSLT is
a) not the language that a WebDesigner should unterstand and
b) I find it very strange when the (XML) data steers the rendering logic

I have developetd a custom XSLT template solution (google for 'Style-free
XSLT Style Sheets' and 'Template Languages in XSLT') that allows the use of
$var for the data binding. The logic (i.e. <my:forEach.../>
<my:if-exists.../>) is implemented with the well known <xsl:template
match="my:forEach-row/">. Using this approach the rendering template
(XHTML/FO etc.) is not cut into several pieces. The designer can implement
its stuff following the natural way, HTML pages are defined/constructed.
When he needs some data he has the $vars, when he needs some logic he use
the defined custom language elements (i.e.
So much to the
working things with XSLT, that is because of the limitations of XSLT no
generic.

When I discovered JXTemplate I
1st) saw that a lot of logic is already implemented there and
2nd) the data could be referenced by JXPath

So I looked for a way to substitute my non-generic-custom template
implementation with JXTemplate. That was my hope. And therefore I would need
to access the XML-SAX at transformation level.

But by the way, if I can reference #{$cocoon/.....} there should also been a
way to reference the XML-SAX as #{$xmlsax???/...} (sorry again, i am a very
java beginner)?

Thx for your reflection ... Raffaele