cocoon-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From <Philip.Fenn...@empolis.com>
Subject RE: Encoding problems, still!
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:14:24 GMT
Yes,

With regard to my follow-up e-mail I stated that the problem definitely
went away when I changed the web.xml file when I was using Tomcat
(4.1.30) directly e.g.

http://myhost:8080/cocoon/app/documentPath/document.html#SL12345

But when I went back to sending my requests via Apache (2.0.51) and
mod_jk (1.2) the problem returned.

Now it so happens that there used to be a bug in IE 4 that Microsoft
claimed to have fixed in IE 5 that indicated there were problems with
links and UTF-8 encoding.

Firefox 0.9.3 doesn't have the same problem, and neither does IE 5.2 on
the Mac.

Another piece of info is that if a fragment identifier sits on the end
of a GET request with parameters like:

http://myVirtualHost/app/search.html?query="can%20you%20hear%20me%20moth
er#markedResult

Then that does work.

Also if the link points to within the same page, that works too because
the link is executed within the context of the browser and no attempt is
made to retrieve the link target from the server.

So you can see I'm a bit puzzled to say the least.

I'm sure it is server related but then we have also set the
'AddDefaultCharset' directive in Apache to:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

and commented out the reference to ISO-8859-1


Any ideas any one?


Regards

Phil Fennell



-----Original Message-----
From: Leszek Gawron [mailto:lgawron@mobilebox.pl] 
Sent: 01 November 2004 13:18
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Encoding problems, still!

Philip.Fennell@empolis.com wrote:
> I have just recently resolved a problem with fragment identifiers in
URLs for pages that are served-up by Cocoon in UTF-8 to IE 6 on the PC.
> 
> My sitemap was set-up to deliver XHTML in UTF-8 and IE understood
this. However, if I sent a request that had a fragment identifier on the
end:
> 
> http://myserver/document/path/document.html#SL12345
> 
> IE ignored #SL12345 and did not scroll the page to the single instance
of the specified id in the target document.
> 
> But, when I followed the instructions in:
> 
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/RequestParameterEncoding
> 
> regarding explicitly setting the Servlet container-encoding in 
> Cocoon's web.xml it all worked happily :)
This is quite strange for me as your anchor name contains only basic
ascii characters SL12345. Are you sure that was the cause for problem?

> I just thought people should know this.
> 
> Should I add it to the afore mentioned wiki?
Sure

-- 
Leszek Gawron                                      lgawron@mobilebox.pl
Project Manager                                    MobileBox sp. z o.o.
+48 (61) 855 06 67                              http://www.mobilebox.pl
mobile: +48 (501) 720 812                       fax: +48 (61) 853 29 65

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@cocoon.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@cocoon.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@cocoon.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@cocoon.apache.org


Mime
View raw message