cocoon-users mailing list archives

From robby.pelss...@vodafone.com
Subject RE: Getting JDBC drivers to work
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:44:11 GMT
Thx Ugo !!

I'll check this out...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ugo Cei [mailto:ugo@apache.org]
Sent: 24 November, 2004 13:10
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Getting JDBC drivers to work

Il giorno 24/nov/04, alle 11:42, robby.pelssers@vodafone.com ha scritto:

> I'm kinda desperate... I don't have enough experience with installing
> drivers.. I looked at dozens of sites how to get JDBC-drivers to work.
> First of all, which drivers should i use? The thick(OCI) or thin
> drivers.

Thin drivers are fine, they are 100% Java, don't use native code and
don't require installation of the Oracle client. Only if you find some
shortcomings with them, you should think about switching to the OCI
driver.

> I want to make a connection from my desktop(WINNT) to an oracle
> database
> (8.1.7.4).  What are the actual steps I need to undertake to get this
> thing
> running....

Put the driver's JAR (ojdbc14.jar typically, but it depends on the
version) in WEB-INF/lib.

> And i see so many different connection string examples it drives me
> crazy....  So please mention these for OCI/thin if you have got it
> working.

Substitute suitable values for <hostname>, <port> (usually 1521) and
<sid> (ask your DBA) and you should be set. The classname of the driver
is oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/