cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Hibernate (connection-pool) ...since it is getting colder outside
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:19:27 GMT
Il giorno 23/nov/04, alle 13:52, Philipp Rech ha scritto:

> 1) i have a "connection-pool" and "datascource" in Tomcat, Cocoon and
> Hibernate
> which of the 3 should - and can I use? And if i use one how to tell
> other
> players in the team? i would like to use a cocoon.xconf datasource, if
> i can...

There was a patch somewhere that enabled Hibernate to use an Avalon
datasource, but it's not been maintained anymore AFAIK. You can use a
container-provided (Tomcat in your case) datasource, or use a
Hibernate-local datasource. The latter would work even outside of a
J2EE container, but in any case switching between the two is just a
matter of changing a config file, so in the end it makes no difference
at all.

> 2) i have heard about java-tools (wrapper) that integrate Hibernate
> with Cocoon
> is anyone using those?

What do you mean by "integrate"? I am aware of no special tools.

> 3) what is the best way to inegrate the two (Hibernate with Cocoon)?
> any
> tutorials out there (the cocoon-wiki is kinda confusing and not
> up-to-date on
> that i thought *sorry*)? any best-practices?

What is considered a "best" practice in this issue is largely a matter
of opinion. My own best practice is to use the Spring framework as a
glue to bind together Hibernate and various other "enterprise"
resources. You can find a sample here:
http://new.cocoondev.org/main/projects/43

You might also want to have a look at the slides I presented at the
last GetTogether:
http://www.cbim.it/it/bacheca/download/varie/Ugo_Cei_GT2004.pdf

	Ugo

--