cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Large XML transformations in Cocoon.
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:39:33 GMT
Derek Hohls wrote:

>OK, I'll bite here, as my curiosity is aroused (and, lets face it,
>as XML gets wider use, its likely that file sizes will get larger)
>
>You say "XSLT isn't that appropriate for that sort of thing";
>I thought XSLT was *the* preferred way for processing XML?!

Because XSLT can, in various circumstances, build in memory versions of
our XML. If your XML is large, you will consume a lot of memory, which
could break things. STX (which I have never used), is intended to be a
streaming process, which means that you don't hold any of your XML in
memory, and you can thus stream as much XML as your recipient can handle.

>Second; what are the advantages/disadvantagesof STX  icw XSLT?

Advantage of STX? It is streamed. Disadvantage of STX? It is streamed.
As I say, I've never used it, but I suspect there are some things that
require 'knowledge' of different parts of the XML structure that could
be difficult to implement in STX. But then, I might be wrong.

Regards, Upayavira