cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Large XML transformations in Cocoon.
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:09:18 GMT
Tom Bloomfield wrote:

> I'm planning to do xml -> text transformations (for tab-delimited
> output) and xml -> FOP on large XML datasets.  The XML I will  be
> processing will be 10-12 MB in size, and will grow from there. Based
> on planning, the XSL will contain around 50 node traversals and will
> iterate over my XML dataset around 46,000 times.  Previous to this, my
> Cocoon transformations haven't been nearly this big.
>
> The amount of JVM memory I have to deal with is limited (<256M).  This
> transformation will need to run in real-time.
> Does anyone have experience dealing with large datasets like this?

That sounds like quite a challenge. XSLT isn't that appropriate for that
sort of thing. Firstly, in XSLT, avoid arbitrary wanders around your XML
tree - stay as close to the context node as you can.

Alternatively, look at STX (there is an STX block). See if you can
manage your transformations with that. This is "streaming"
transformations for XML, i.e. it is designed for streaming, and thus
should be able to handle large datasets.

Regards, Upayavira