cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Francois Jannin <f.jan...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Pesky memory problems (Tomcat/WindowsXP)
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:38:02 GMT
Hi Derek

Derek Hohls wrote:

>I know there have been a number of threads on this topic; but
>I am obviously missing something, well, obvious!
>
>I have set the CATALINA_OPTS variable as follows:
>
>-Xms64m -Xmx256m  -Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1
>-DproxySet=true -DproxyHost=http://my-proxy.com -DproxyPort=3128
>
>Cocoon runs fine for a while, then the error message:
>----- Root Cause -----
>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>
>appears.  The memory monitor *appears* to show
>Tomcat using about 110M of memory... well within the
>256M limit I would have thought?

The same happende to me..
Depending on the system you run Tomcat on, setting CATALINA_OPTS can be
overrided by catalina.bat or catalina.sh . My last investigating about
this matter revealed different behaviours depending on the system.
In jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28, while under Windows you can add options in
catalina.bat like this :
 set CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms256m -Xmx512m -server -Xdebug -Xnoagent
-Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000
under Linux catalina.sh seems to behave differently, i.e it seems to
actually use CATALINA_OPTS  as it comes from environment variable (I'm
not a good reader of such messy scripts anyway).
I suggest you try to locate where your container is actually started and
whether CATALINA_OPTS is redefined or used as it comes.

Good luck