cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Nick Goupinets <ngoupin...@openskysolutions.ca>
Subject Re: How start?
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:49:31 GMT
Hi Ilario,

I hope I am not mistaken and the thing under consideration is whether to
use portal engine or portal framework.

I guess the answer will be: it depends.

Portal framework is a "vertical portal". At any point in time there is
only one page (that you can customize) with coplets. It is true that
there is a nice interface for adding and removing coplets and as well as
for user management. But it lacks a lot of very useful features: support
for multiple tabs, skins, extensible authentication mechanism.

Portal engine is a fully functional portal, not limited to just a single
vertical layout. If in your project you will ever need multiple pages
with different coplets presented, it would be reasonable to employ the
portal engine.

Of course, there are some limitations of portal engine. As you said, it
lacks the user management and coplet customization support, but these
functions can be implemented with a bit of work (user management is
easier to implement, coplet customization is slightly harder).

Sincerely,
Nick.