cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: [OT] This is quite disappointing...
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:18:13 GMT
Derek Hohls wrote:

> I received a promotional email from Javalobby.org
> for a certain commercial product... their opening pitch:
>
> "70% of Java Developers use Struts"
>
> Now I wonder what % use Cocoon and whether those
> who use Struts have chosen it because its the better
> web application development environment... or just
> because Cocoon is more obscure?

Because Struts is "the easy choice," at least according to one blog I
read.  And now I'm kicking myself because I can't find the @#^@#@
article to reference.

Then again, I've never ever used Struts, and I've only glanced at Struts
books and some reading material, so I have no experience to work from.
But I would like to say (and this is a completely uneducated guess...)
that most places choose to use Struts because it's what everyone else is
using and it seems to be "standard."

An interesting thing to note is that Struts 2.0 is going to be based on
JSF, which is not really all that considering that Craig McClanahan is
at the helm of both projects.

> Not wanting to start any flame war comparisions here...
> just curious what my fellow Cocoon developers think?
> And I can't help wonder what it will take for Cocoon to
> achieve the recognition it deserves??

Frankly, I don't really think about it all that much.  I started working
with Cocoon because we were going to be using it at one of my old jobs,
and now I've left that job and moved on.  I guess I would only really
pick up Struts if my job required it, mostly because of all the time
I've invested in learning Cocoon and all the related technologies.

I guess the problem is that not only are there more jobs that list
Struts as a requirement, but there's also a larger pool of developers
who know Struts, so it all sort of feeds off itself.  Unfortunately,
I've never used Struts, so if I go to a job where they want Struts
experience, and I show up trying to get people using Cocoon instead, I'm
at a disadvantage since I haven't actually done anything with Struts.

Although since I'm a committer I am a little biased towards Cocoon :)

Tony