cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XHTML and Entities: &apos; fails in IE
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:19:35 GMT
Volkm@r wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>  > [...]
>
>>> Did you try numerical entities like &#39;?
>>

>> That would actually help. The problem is that everything is
>> converted by the XHTMLSerializer:
>>
>> &apos; -> &apos;
>> &#39;  -> &apos;
>> '      -> &apos;
>>
>> I guess it really requires a patch to make it configurable.
>>

> This is my first time to try the XHTMLSerializer and I only get an error
> instead of a result:
>  org.xml.sax.SAXException: Unable to map "http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/"

I know this problem. IIRC it was related to Xalan/XSLTC mixture.
When I switched to Xalan everywhere, it vanished.

> Instead of org.apache.cocoon.components.serializers.XHTMLSerializer I've
> always been using org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer with
> configuration according to XHTML. That perferctly works and I never saw
> *any* character entities in the output.
>
> What would be the benefit of using the "new" XHTMLSerializer? If any,
> I'd like to try it more seriously.

The most apparent advantage is that it takes care of the
header encoding information. Since I use it I have no problems
regarding UTF-8 anymore.

Another difference is that it just passes the existing
doctype definition instead of adding a configured one.
So it is required to set the public-id and system-id in the
XSLT or source document.

I guess the new one has a cleaner implementation, but I didn't yet
compare the code. Maybe it makes sense to ask on cocoon-dev.

-- Andreas