cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Frangos, Nick (SAPOL)" <nick.fran...@police.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: Registering own Authentication Manager
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:12:59 GMT
An Authentication Manager which handles roles would be the better way to do
this, as you would not have to write any flow script. All that would be
required is to pass in the role to the Authentication Manager, to gain
access in a specific area of the sitemap. Is there any plans by Carsten and
co. to implement something like this. I could write something myself, but as
a general rule I try not to extend the cocoon framework but use it as is.

An alternative approach which I kind of like is to write a user roles
Selector, and use that to control role based access. This was suggested in
an earlier reply and I think it would work nicely because once the selector
is written, the rest of the logic is contained within the sitemap itself.

Nick Frangos

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugo Burm [mailto:hugob@xs4all.nl]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 October 2004 8:21 PM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: RE: Registering own Authentication Manager

I needed something like this, so I used the standard flow example to do
authentication with the default Authentication manager and then implemented
some "after-burner" in flow script that checked whether the role of the user
(which was already authenticated at that point) had sufficient rights for
the area he wanted to access. This is a bad solution (but it works for
me...)

Then I checked how the (old) portal solved this. They use the default
authentication manager to login, and then there is an action that checks for
each portlet whether the user has sufficient rights for this portlet.

All Authentication manager methods in the Authentication framework depend on
the username only. I would be interested in an implementation where a role
is involved.

For a post related to this subject see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=108195396222907&w=2
(see the last paragraph about the role issue).