cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: pdf output in IE
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:06:34 GMT
Gunter D'Hondt wrote:
> When using a plain servlet or jsp and outputting PDF (and setting the
> response content type to pdf) and reading that in IE (not Mozilla, NS,
> ... ) a lot of problems can occur; this is becourse IE looks for the
> file extension to see which content type he should use (and not the http
> headers).
>
> I was just wondering how this is done with Cocoon if your URL is for
> example "report" (so definitely without an extension) and in the sitemap
> you are using a reader to get the pdf from the filesystem and setting
> the content type to pdf.

If you don't use anything which can be mistaken as an extension, IEx
uses the content-type to decide what to do with the content. If you've
got a dot in the last component of the URL, it depends whether the
string after the last dot is a a registered file extension in the
Windows registry.
There's still the problem that the content may be retrieved twice
or even three times.

> has Cocoon some workaround for this or does it have the same problem?

Cocoon's mapping mechanism makes it is easy to use URLs ending
in .pdf for PDF content.

J.Pietschmann