cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: XForms/DENG passing parameters to Cocoon?
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:46:04 GMT
Lars Huttar wrote:

>>>Thank you thank you!
>>>
>>>Suggestion, for doc editors: a cross-reference from the Request Generator
>>>page to StreamGenerator.
>>>http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/generators/request-generator.html
>>>describes the Request Generator as "Generates an XML
>>>

>>representation of the
>>

>>>incoming request." Which is true except for the body of the request, so
>>>maybe it should say "Generates an XML representation of the incoming
>>>request's headers and parameters." and have a cross-reference
>>>

>>such as "For
>>

>>>the body of the incoming request, use StreamGenerator."
>>>

>>You send me a patch, I'll commit it. How's that sound?
>>

>Sounds good. What do I edit, the "view source" output from
>http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/generators/request-generator.html?
>

>I looked at the cocoon/docs/xdocs/userdocs/generators/request-generator.xml
>file locally (from 2.1.5.1), but it was very different from the above web
>page.

Er,
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/status-generator.xml?rev=36463&root=Apache-SVN&view=markup

would be one of the two do do. The other would be:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/generators/stream-generator.xml?root=Apache-SVN

>>Glad it helped! The stream generator is much underrated I think - has
>>helped me in a number of situations.
>>

>Yeah, I had never come across it, but it seems very valuable.
>
>Next question: Is there a way to inject this data into the pipeline other
>than as a generator? My desire is to have my XSP page use data from the HTTP
>request body (which is a small XML snippet). So the XSP page wants the
>serverpages generator. When my data was coming in as request parameters, the
>XSP page was able to get the values of those parameters and use them. But if
>my data is coming from a stream generator, then it seems that things get
>more complicated.

Well, best thing in my opinion is to avoid XSP! But that's another
thing. If you want to get at the body of the request, well, just look at
the source of the StreamGenerator! It isn't hard. You could do that from
within your XSP.

>1) I could have a separate pipeline (StreamGen -> XSLT transformer) that
>generates the XSP page with my XML data embedded in it, then call that
>pipeline via an XSP Action. Downside: more sitemap complexity (recursive
>Cocoon calls) and harder to see what it's doing.
>
>2) Can I use some kind of input module? The Request module doesn't seem to
>have a way to "get" the content. Unless the content is an attribute...?

See above. I presume, if you're using XSP, you're not afraid of Java.

Regards, Upayavira