cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Benoit Deshaies <bdesha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Form.js leakage
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:32:18 GMT
<executive-summary>
When my forms application has been running for a while, Cocoon has
thousands of file handles open for Form.js and fom_system.js, causing
crashes.
</executive-summary>

I'm developing a large CForm application. I'm now doing load testing
and after a while, I get "too many open files" exceptions. That "while"
wasn't very long: around 15 user sessions, each going through 10 forms.
Then everything just stops working.

I used a tool called Process Explorer (www.sysinternals.com) to see
which files were open (you could use lsof on unix). It turns out I had
hundreds of copies of org/apache/cocoon/forms/flow/javascript/Form.js
open. There are also countless copies of fom_system.js. I believe
that's the source of the problem.

All of the .js FlowScripts for my forms had cocoon.load(.../Form.js) at
the top. I removed all of them except for the first form. This helped:
the application takes longer before crashing. When looking at the open
files, I still see a large number of Form.js and fom_system.js open
(about 3 fom_system for each Form).

How can I: 1) stop cocoon from loading countless copies of these two
files and  2) "unload" the files when I'm done with them: i.e. in the
logout page, I'd be glad to unload Form.js.

Cocoon 2.1.5, running on Tomcat 5.0.25.

Thanks!

Benoit