cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Hackatlon 2004 : only for hardcore developpers ?
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:18:25 GMT
Timur Izhbulatov wrote:

>>Last year I was present at the Hackathon. I appreciated the talk and I
>>learned a lot of.
>>But this year I don't know if it will become an 'ask-the-expert-clinic' or
>>an 'hacking between hardcore developers'.
>>

>What's the problem?
>
>I visit the Russian LinuxFest [1]. And it is the place where any visitor
>could discuss any (mostly linux related :) problems with anybody
>including "hardcore developers". Cool!
>
>Why does the Hackathon differ?

What you are talking about is the GetTogether the following day. I'd
like to see some 'ask-the-expert clinics' run there (and not just lots
of presentations). I'd be quite prepared to run one or two myself.

The danger with the hackathon is that it looses its focus. The Cocoon
developer community is spread all over the world, and this is its one
opportunity each year to meet in reasonable numbers. It would be a real
shame if the hackathon changed from being a chance to discuss and work
on core Cocoon development issues, and became a clinic for users.

After all, that is why the GetTogether the following day has been
arranged. And I'm not aware of any 'hardcore developer' who is signed up
to the hackathon who won't be at the GetTogether. They'll all be there.

As I said earlier, if you want to participate in the development of
Cocoon itself, then you're more than welcome at the hackathon. If you
want to understand how you might use Cocoon within your own projects,
then come along to the GetTogether.

Regards, Upayavira