cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Nichols <nx10m...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Fundamental Cocoon Philosophy Question
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:06:02 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 10.09.2004 22:42, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>>> As far as standards are concerned, I am speaking of
>>> the forms implementation.  I remember at one point it
>>> was being built around XForms before that was
>>> scrapped.  Now however groups are working on adopting
>>> that as a standard for webapps:
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-08-10.html
>>

>>> From the discussions I saw, the problem with XForms is that it is
>>> client
>>
>> based. Cocoon is server based.
>

> You can base a server side implementation on the XForms notation
> though, e.g. instead of Cocoon's CForms definition namespace. The
> question would be if it is appropriate. But IIRC there is such a
> project implementing XForms on server side.
>
> Joerg

There's the Chiba project - http://chiba.sourceforge.net/ - which is
rapidly approaching full XForms compliance. There's also an integration
project called Chicoon which is an integration between Chiba (which, for
example, assumes its documents are on the filesystem) and Cocoon.

There's also OXF, http://orbeon.sourceforge.net/ - which has a
server-side XForms processor. Not sure how one might integrate OXF with
Cocoon, though, they seem to view Cocoon as a competitor -
http://www.orbeon.com/community/cocoon

<opinion>
CForms are really excellent for webapp development, but for some types
of XML processing XForms has advantages. Whether it comes from Chicoon,
from an OXF/Cocoon integration or from a resuscitated JXForms, the
Cocoon+XForms combination hits some targets for which CForms is less
than ideal.
</opinion>

Anyone else interested in XForms with Cocoon?
    - Thomas.