cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Niko Popitsch <niko.popit...@researchstudio.at>
Subject Re: 2.1.5.1 build oddity, 2.0.4 war fails
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 08:57:42 GMT
Hi,

Peter Flynn wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 19:38, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>>Hi Peter:
>>
>>I use Fedora Core 2 with tomcat 5.0.28, j2sdk 1.4.2_05 and that work OK
>>with Cocoon 2.1.5.1 and cvs version.
>>
>>If you are a new in Cocoon, please try first tomcat 4.1.x with j2sdk
>>1.4.2_x. This configuration works on Fedora.

I tried to deploy my application (based on cocoon 2.1.5.1) in both:
tomcat 5.0.27 and 5.5.0. Both did not work because of a conflict between
  my commons-logging-1.0.3.jar and tomcat's commons-logging-api.jar (I
posted this yesterday... still found no solution :-{).

> I'm not new to Cocoon (been using it since v1) but I don't reinstall
> it that often :-) and I'm not a developer, so I don't track the code.
>
> Using 4.x sounds sensible; I was just trying to keep up to date :-)
me too. not the best idea apparently (although it would be really nice
to speed up my cocoon on a 64bit box with the new jdk... *dreams*

>>Else, try to search another ant.jar and java libraries in your Fedora Core
>>installation.
>

> I have very bad experiences with ant (basically it appears to be
> non-functional anywhere I've tried it). I didn't even know it was
> included in FC2. I wouldn't know what to do with ant.jar anyway
> (there appear to be two on the machine, in /usr/share/java/ant.jar
> and /usr/share/ant/lib/ant.jar). Do I copy one of them into the
> Cocoon distribution directory, overwriting the one in
> /opt/cocoon/cocoon-2.1.5.1/tools/lib/ant.jar ?
>
> Hmm. I just did. Same error:
> org/apache/tools/ant/launch/Launcher
>
> Grrr. Why O why is Java stuff always broken?
>

>>If you are interested, here are some bugzilla reports related to j2sdk 1.5
>>(aka. java 5.0):
>

> Thanks but no thanks. Bugzilla is impenetrably user-hostile.
>

>>But, I think we could avoid j2sdk 5.0 until the stable (final) version.
>

> Good idea. But unfortunately the Tomcat site says it is a requirement
> for tomcat 5.5
It is not.
There is a compatibility package available for download at the apache
binary download site. overwrite the files in your tomcat 5.5 directory
by the files in this archive and it should work with jdk 1.4.2_x (works
fine on my linux box).

>>Unfortunately, I had no time to test if Cocoon run on the new tomcat 5.5.
>>Maybe someone else can confirm that.
> I can confirm that it doesn't, and it seems to be the Launcher missing
> from the ant distributed with Cocoon, not anything to do with Tomcat,
> because you can't even build Cocoon 2.1.5.1 as it stands: it's broken
> as distributed. So it cannot be tested with Tomcat 5.5 yet.
I had no problems with building (but i built my cocoon 2.1.5.1 on a
windows machine in cygwin with jdk 1.4.2_03-b02

> ///Peter

best regards,
Niko