cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Forms styling: showing required OR validation symbols
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:20:28 GMT
On 03.09.2004 08:41, Derek Hohls wrote:

> The current forms stylesheets supplied with Cocoon
> work very well for most purposes... however, I now
> have a quite crowded form where space is at a
> premium.  Ideally I would only like to have one "hint"
> symbol next to each field ie. if the field is required it
> will have a "*".   But if the user neglects to fill in that
> field, and the form is redisplayed, there is a "!!" and "*"
> This is actually redundant and also causes the form field
> alignments to go out of sync.
>
> If anyone knows of a way to ONLY display the validation
> symbol and NOT the required symbol as well, please
> let me know.

That's really easy :)

In forms-field-styling.xsl there is the following template:

   <!--+
       | Common stuff like fi:validation-message, @required.
       +-->
   <xsl:template match="fi:*" mode="common">
     <!-- validation message -->
     <xsl:apply-templates select="fi:validation-message"/>
     <!-- required mark -->
     <xsl:if test="@required='true'">
     </xsl:if>
   </xsl:template>

As you can see easily it results in both the ! and the *. If you import
this stylesheet (or forms-samples-styling, which imports the
forms-field-styling) you can overload the template, e.g. with the following:

   <xsl:template match="fi:*" mode="common">
     <xsl:variable name="validation-message">
       <xsl:apply-templates select="fi:validation-message"/>
     </xsl:variable>
     <xsl:copy-of select="$validation-message"/>
     <xsl:if test="@required='true' and
                   not(normalize-space($validation-message))">
     </xsl:if>
   </xsl:template>

Joerg