cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Frans Englich <frans.engl...@telia.com>
Subject Re: Efficient serving of Docbook
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:00:49 GMT
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 16:10, g[R]eK wrote:
> <. Hi Frans! .>
>
> Monday, September 27, 2004, 8:31:58 PM, you wrote:
>
> FE> On Monday 27 September 2004 17:46, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> [...]
>
> FE> I don't think it addresses my problem since it's probably cool once the
> FE> content have been generated. In either case, I think serving fast is no
> FE> problem(cached, or static).
>
> FE> AFAICT, my problem is that I don't want to do the whole transformation
> for all FE> Docbook sources, but only for those parts that are being
> requested. It's FE> about making the Docbook transformation fine grained,
> so not everything have FE> to be generated, only because a typo is fixed in
> a part which isn't even FE> requested.
>
> Solution for your problem is probably cached XInclude transformation.

Ok, I need some meat on my bones.

I have a bunch of sources, the huge set of Docbook XSLT sources, and then a
request on one particular file which is modified happens, and... Cocoon
starts the transformation:

* Is the loading and preparation of the XSLT stylesheets done in an optimized
way(cached)? Or is every xsl:import/include resolved, and every file read,
each time? Is this done as efficient as it can be?

* If the file wasn't modified, would the transformation happen anyway? If this
is cached -- how does it work? It checks the filestamps of the source
docs(files)?

* Pulling the sources together is not cached, but done each time because
XIncludeTransformer doesn't implement caching -- if we use XIncludes. What if
we in our document instead use CIncludes?

> Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no XInclude transformer implementing
> caching, yet. So you have to base on [1] src and implement caching. I think
> it would be very smart way.

So the real solution is to implement caching, and the smartest would be to do
that in a way so it can be included in the main distribution. I would have to
learn Java then. I If I don't implement it, and have no possibility for
financing someone, is there any estimation on when it will?

If the answer to my questions is to do a readup on Cocoon -- tell me.

Cheers,

		Frans