cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gerald Aichholzer" <ga...@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at>
Subject Re: Encoding problems
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:20:13 GMT
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:02:43 +0200, Volkm@r <plsdontreply@arcor.de> wrote:

> Jan Hoskens wrote:
>> You may want to take a look at the wiki page:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/RequestParameterEncoding
>> I had this problem a while ago:
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=109100902605917&w=2
>> I'm wondering what the best solution is and which encoding is preferred
>> for handling special characters or when UTF-8 / ISO 8859-1 should/could
>> be used.
>
> I can't see any reason why not to use Unicode charset with UTF-8
> encoding only. It is supported by all common browsers ans allows you to
> use *all* Unicode <http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~richard/unicode-sample.html>
> characters by just typing them into the source code.
> Make sure that the charset information sent with HTTP header is
> compliant with the document's encoding.
> Most browsers will use it for encoding input in forms.

I have a similar experience (and still no solution for it). All my
source XML-files are UTF-8 encoded. Coocon generates UTF-8 encoded
XHTML.

Mozilla and Firebird display the national characters correctly. But
Internet Explorer and Opera show only garbage instead of the special
characters.

My XHTML-serializer is configured as follows:

     <map:serializer mime-type="text/html" name="xhtml" ...>
       <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN</doctype-public>
       <doctype-system>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd</doctype-system>
       <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
     </map:serializer>

All my XML-files contain the following directive:

     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">

Aside from this I haven't implemented anything special regarding
character encoding.

Any help is appreciated,
thanx in advance,
Gerald